One of the most exciting times in your life can be choosing to build a new home. Here at Regal Homes, we know that selecting the right floor plan depends on how you use your home and how it fits with your lifestyle. From the size and shape, to where the rooms are located in relation to each other, every part of the home can affect your experience, so knowing what you really want is crucial. We have five tips to help you choose the right home for your lifestyle.
1) Figure out what size home will best suit your needs.
Choosing a floor plan should start with how you envision living in your new home, what type of layout works best, and how you would use each space. Though important, square footage should be your secondary consideration. How many sleeping spaces do you need? Could a guest room double as an office or home gym if it won’t be used often? Do you need a certain amount of storage space? Think about the space you wish you had (or don’t need) now and prioritize your most important needs..
2) Choose a floor plan based on your lifestyle.
Every homeowner has a unique lifestyle, so choosing a floor plan that meets your needs is essential. Do you work from home and need an office? Are you a movie buff who wants a media room? Do the kids need a rec room? Think about the space you need to be comfortable based on your daily activities.
3) Trust your instincts on what “feels” right when choosing a floor plan.
All of us know when a space feels comfortable. Take these instincts into consideration when looking at different floor plans. Someone with young children may want the primary bedroom upstairs with the other bedrooms. On the other hand, someone with mobility issues might prefer for the primary bedroom to be downstairs and easily accessible.
4) Be honest about your needs and lifestyle.
Preferred features in a home differ depending on what stage of life you are in. Before choosing a home design, ask yourself:
- Is your family situation changing — either growing or shrinking?
- Will you need guest rooms for overnight visitors?
- What about additional living space for visiting parents or grandchildren?
- Are you approaching retirement? Should you choose a plan that’s great for aging in place?
- How do you entertain? Do you want formal spaces or more relaxed gathering rooms?
- Do you travel frequently and need a low-maintenance home with smart features?
5) Don’t forget workspace considerations.
Are you working from home more these days, or even full-time? Do you have any hobbies or special interests that might require special rooms to enjoy them? Do you need lots of attic or storage space to store your treasures?
Answering these questions honestly will ensure that you choose the right floor plan for your lifestyle, now and into the future. If you need any guidance or suggestions, our new home specialists are here to help! Please give us a call at 385-297-8216 or schedule a personal tour of our models today.